Thursday, September 18, 2014

Michael Moore, The best from the worst!

  This last article was difficult for me to stomach given my personal discrepancies about Michael Moore, but regardless I sucked it up and read on! Though this piece described tactics for film and or documentaries I still think almost everything said is also true of animation. Some factors jumped out more so at me than others though. Laughter being the biggest and most obvious choice for a discussion topic simply because people love to laugh. without some form of humor in any movie, skit, project, or animation, things would get dull very quickly and the audience would loose interest. Even in horror films there is the occasional scene in which the characters may enjoy a moment of peace, and even crack jokes! Humor isn't the only factor to a good story though.

  Another item discussed in Moore's tolerable list of do's and don'ts was the factor of writing about something you personally understand or have experienced. for example, those of you who don't know me very well have no idea that I gave a year of my life to a military Marine corp. based group. I bleed, sweat, and wept creating memories that will stay with me forever. I have and will use the ideas influenced from my experiences with the group in later projects.

  The last thing i agree with in the article is Moore's idea of "don't tell me what i already know".
stupid humor or story lines make the audience in turn feel stupid. In other words dumbing things down to much or explaining something obvious can be insulting to the audience. People want to feel smart, respected, or even appreciated by the animator. Not to mention the coming up with the deduction of "who done it" or just where the story is going can give the audience a rewarded feeling. Just remember, at the same time that you don't want things to be to simple, they can't be to complex either. Just keep some of these thing in mind before doing a project or coming up with a story line!

No comments:

Post a Comment