Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Analysis and reflection

   Unfortunately for me the script seemed like a limiting factor, at least at first. I felt that there were very few possible interpretations of the script that would be used throughout the class. I was thankfully proven wrong, while several of my preliminary ideas were taken by various other students, my main idea remained original. I really wanted to think outside of the box for this one as I have attempted to do with the other projects without bitting off more than I can chew. After some consideration and several scrapped ideas I thought of character interaction with the 4th wall, or acknowledging the camera/audience.This was inspired by two pre-existing characters; Hasbro's Pinkamina Diane Pie and Marvel's Deadpool. These characters goofy antics generally result in interaction directly with the viewing audience by acknowledging the existence of either their own fantasy world or ours. This interaction always proved to be entertaining for me personally so I attempted to re-create that feeling.
   Throughout the animation I used several animation principals to help bring the characters to life. Squash and stretch was, however, the most prominent with the rotation of the screen and characters. There are also several instances in which the characters anticipate an action, such as just before the bunny character interacts with the camera. Secondary action and symmetry also emanate a minor presence throughout the animation during several scenes where the characters are talking.
  The first few frames of the animation feel a little stiff to me. Accounting for my displeasure I changed styles a scene or so in, using thicker more smooth lines to define the characters shapes. At the start of the year I didn't really have a well developed style but I was very happy with the outcome of several of the scenes in this animation. While style is very important I believe that my coloring ability has grown the most over the year. I have always been a black and white artist and find that coloring is both tedious and a good time waster, it does however help the audience to identify and resonate more with the characters. This skill will definitely come in handy later in life.
  I was a bit iffy on the blur heavy scenes where the camera was spinning out of control, but after the effect was applied to the right degree I was happy with the outcome. The faster movements worked out better than I had intended which was a pleasant surprise. On that note, there were also several notable downsides to this animation. Once the pressure to hand the project in on time became apparent I started to rush and make rookie mistakes. There are many scenes with faulty lip sync and poor or reused movements. The most deplorable part though would have to be the female character messing around with the camera. Her giant key framed hands fondle the screen even with the absence of arms, coherent lip sync, and her bunny counterpart. This was the result of a very rushed scene, and definitely not my proudest moment. In the future I will focus my efforts on quality over quantity and will prevent something like that from even being in scenes of my creation, regardless of time constraints.
  Inevitably I learned a lot about myself and my process through this project. My means of doing things has been giving me trouble all year, thinking way to big for the time given. Its not that the ideas are bad just that I don't have the time, or experience rather, to complete such a task so quickly. I am happy with this project though, even with its many faults. Two steps forward and all that. I am definitely coming closer to a system that effectively allows me to make a well made animation in the time given, hopefully I will be better prepared in the future for a project of similar intensity.

No comments:

Post a Comment