Sunday, September 20, 2015

Every Student's Worst Nightmare

 As a frequent procrastinator myself, I was immediately intrigued by the title of the provided reading I got this week. "6 Steps to Beat Procrastination" was a good short reminder of how important prioritizing work can be.

  The first thing to jump out at me was the first mentioning of a list...well that's not true, the first thing I saw was the absurd tattoo. But after I gave myself a moment to question that persons moral decisions I pressed on to find the actual information.

 A list is one of the most basic means of keeping track of what is going on for most people, or in this case what to do. Though it is a good idea to have a list, my mind drifted to the godawful organizers I was forced to keep in middle school. For me personally it wasn't very effective.

 On the other hand I do have a whiteboard mounted on the wall next to my desk at home, which happens to be probably the most convenient thing I have ever screwed into my wall for no other reason that to look good.

 As a quick side note, I really like the idea of keeping a minimized window with "to do's" on it.

 Another thing I happened to notice in tangent with the reading was that I seem to only write down the most important information on my white board, as opposed to everything. Prioritizing in the moment almost. In the text Paul Allan mentions that you should do what you deem the most difficult of the tasks first. I guess I simply hoped i would remember the simpler tasks.

I almost want to disagree with 15min breaks every so often to wade through Facebook posts or watch a quick video, but it is a required part of Digital Media. The only reason I want to resent those 15min is because once I get into the right mindset and focus on my work, it is quite difficult to just turn it off for a quick breather.

The only other important points that were covered in the reading were in regards to pre-planning and breaking down performing the action itself. Pre-planning can be a good thing, and I only use "can" because in reference to everyday tasks pre-planning should be used in moderation. Its easy for me to say on Monday "Im going to do my blog posts on Wednesday!" but when Wednesday rolls around I find out my bus was delayed, I have a test at Boces, I have a test in every other class, I put my shirt on backwards, and somebody at work quit so I have to pick up the hours after school... By the time I finally get home its 11:30 and I just want to go to bed.

So giving yourself time is always a good thing but if I personally don't start on it at my earliest convenience, chances are it either won't get done or it will be done last minuet. Then again, maybe thats just me...

No comments:

Post a Comment