Sunday, September 20, 2015

All in Your Head

While normally at the sight of a video for a blog I would metaphorically jump for joy, this time around I was a little disappointed. My disdain for the video wasn't for its information, which was useful in itself, but how it was presented. Simon Cade managed to quickly loose my attention in regards to his lesson to focus on little irritants he performed throughout the video. A slightly shorter "Shatner pause" on top of the constant jump cuts and a very monotone voice only succeeded in making me think he was having a conversation with multiples of himself.

Setting my irritants aside, the information he gave his viewers seemed to be on more of a personal level. I assume he has been making videos and possibly films for a pretty good lenght of time based on his popularity and comfort in being a male Kristen Stewart alone.

Anyhow Simon seemed especially interested in creating something you think is good rather than what is popular. I can certainly agree with him, its really easy to go with the flow but its not very rewarding.

 The next big thing has to come from somewhere, and if all artists simply recreated what already exists we wouldn't get very far culturally.

 However the mistake mentioned that resonates with me the most is probably the whole "you are your own worst enemy" notion.

 For the longest time I was very uncomfortable in new positions, I didn't like change or trying new things. Not that I wouldn't, I would just be incredibly nervous or scared. That's part of the reason I quit the youth organization I was with, and it even contributed to my fear of crowds.

It wasn't until halfway through my junior year of high school that I realized how to control that. The problem was at its center, me. Simply I was a judgmental d!ck. My father always picked people out of a crowd and mocked them in comparison to himself, and I realized that I had been doing the same thing.

 I guess I just thought "Well if I'm doing it, than other people must be too." I felt like people were judging me as much as I judged them. but I have to give the masses more credit than that. Not all people (contrary to popular belief ) are @$$holes. Still, even if they are? Who cares?

 Now I know, that person is probably just making themselves miserable doing exactly what I did.

The other points mentioned in the article were simply, get out more, learn to live with failure, and put more effort into your work.

I would go farther in depth with each of these, but I'm pretty sure I would end up having something around the length of a novel.

 I would like to note that my skipping of those last points is not because they are any less important than the others, they just don't seem to resonate with me as well.

but maybe that's just me...

2 comments:

  1. I think we're all like that at some point Gage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we're all like that at some point Gage.

    ReplyDelete