Sunday, January 25, 2015

Michael Bay has good advice?!

   It surprised me too when I read the article this week to find out that Michael Bay has more to his directing style than just explosions. The notorious filmmaker has laid the groundwork for many aspiring filmmakers in terms of action movies and sequences.
  There were a few things in particular I picked out from the interview with Mr. Bay, the first being how he used grand scale shots vs close ups. This would allow the audience to take in the enormity of what was happening while transitioning into the characters personal emotions and reaction to the event. Another tip I picked up on was the use of real "Large moving objects." that would also ad an element of realism to the shot. The last tip I noticed was director Bay's use of a tennis ball in order to gauge (haha...) gravity. Tossing it up and using its air time to reflect that of a character to help get a tough shot.
  Actually learning something from Michael Bay was a surprising experience but I will actually find some use for his recommendations in both my animation and future camera work.

1 comment:

  1. I do think his advice on shot angles, and getting that "tough shot" is some pretty good advice.

    ReplyDelete